This is a basic work-out designed to yield an overall minimum level of conditioning. From here you will be prepared for a more vigorous level of sport or conditioning. As always, check first with your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to under take a physical conditioning program.
This is a 3 times per week progressive routine. Start with 1 circuit for the first week’s workouts, 2 on the second and third weeks followed by 3 circuits from week 4+.
The exercises are to be performed in a circuit fashion each for 30 seconds with 30 seconds rest between sets. As you get stronger shorten the rest duration between sets. The goal is to do each exercise in the circuit without rest. Rest for 2 minutes between circuits.
Sturdy chair or bench
Pair of dumbbells
1. Walk, cycle or do step-ups on a 4-6 inch step for 5 minutes.
2. Karate stretch kick. (Step one leg back. From here swing the rear leg forward and up keeping it straight and the knee locked. Try to increase height with each kick. Do 12 reps) Repeat other side
3. Knee lifts. (Hold hands shoulder height. Lift right knee and touch to left elbow.) Alternate and repeat for 12 reps to each side.
1. Sit down squats – sit on chair or bench with feet at shoulder width, heals flat in front of you. Raise arms and stand. Now sit down and lower arms. That’s 1 rep. Do what you can for 30 seconds.
2. Knee push-ups – Place hands at shoulder width with back straight, abdominals tight. With weight on hands and knees lower chest toward floor, stop 2 inches from touching. Push up until chest rises and arms straighten.
3. Dumbbell row. Place weight on floor on right side of bench or chair. Place left knee on bench and brace with left hand, right leg should be straight. Reach for weight with right hand and pull up as if pulling a lawnmower cord. Elbow should raise past torso. Now lower toward floor. This is 1 rep. Repeat for thirty seconds. Do alternate side.
4. Chair dips – sit on chair or bench. Place hands on edge of chair or bench shoulder width apart. Keeping knees bent and feet on floor lift glutes off and forward from chair. Bend arms and lower glutes toward floor. Bend no more than 90 degrees at elbow. Push up straightening arms and lifting glutes to edge of chair. This is 1 rep. Repeat for 30 seconds.
5. Seated dumbbell press – sit up straight on chair or bench with abdominals tight for support. Take a dumbbell in each hand and raise to ear level, this is starting position. From here push straight up until arms straighten and dumbbells come close to touching. Lower slowly back to ear level and starting position. This is 1 rep. Repeat for 30 seconds.
Do 5 minutes of easy cardio. Stretching exercises to suit. Optional – alternate 30 minutes of cardio (walk,cycle, swim) on other days.